- Managing Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +57 316 878 7207
- Calle 77 No 11-19 piso 2
- T: +57 1 319 8400
- Bachelor of Economics, University of Sydney
- M.St., International Relations, University of Cambridge
- L.L.B., University of Sydney
- L.L.M., University of Sydney
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW (non-practising)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (ACFE)
- Australia Colombia Business Council (ACBC)
- UK Colombia Trade (UKCT)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Cross-border Litigation
- Energy, Power & Products
- Real Estate
- Retail & Consumer Products
Michael Cullen has over 20 years of experience, specializes in complex, cross-border deals, disputes and arbitrations in Latin America. Mr. Cullen helps clients investigate, understand and resolve numerous regulatory, operational, legal, political, social and reputational issues and challenges in the region.
Mr. Cullen regularly works with clients to resolve cross-border conflicts and crises involving Latin America on the most favorable legal, financial and reputational terms. Drawing on a combination of expert witness work, privileged consulting, investigative fact-finding and public relations and message management.
Mr. Cullen develops multidisciplinary strategies and tactics to successfully achieve the client’s legal and commercial objectives. This includes commercial litigation, class actions, regulatory disputes, and international arbitrations. Mr. Cullen regularly uses this multidisciplinary approach to help clients manage and respond to risks and crises that might arise in their Latin American operations, including around corruption, fraud, political disruption, labor and social unrest, and other related reputational risks and challenges.
- Leading the most extensive anti-competition investigation in Colombian history on behalf of a large US manufacturing client. The investigation took place over several years and covered multiple Latin American and Caribbean jurisdictions.
- Providing an expert report for external counsel on the corruption, political, security, social and regulatory environment in the oil and gas industry in high-profile multi-billion environmental litigation in South America.
- Advising a leading petrochemical company on political, social and reputational risks around the globe and mapping out key local stakeholders and issues in a multi-billion acquisition.
- Overseeing a complex investigation into alleged corruption in the region by a leading US pharmaceutical company.
- Developed compliance programs and conducted anti-corruption workshops and employee trainings for a wide variety of clients with international operations in complex and opaque jurisdictions.
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW and the High Court of Australia
Awards & Recognitions:
- Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in the Queen´s New Year 2020 Honours List for his commercial and charitable work in Colombia over the course of a decade.