- Senior Managing Director, Head of South Africa Corporate Finance
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +27 11 214 2428
- BCom., University of Cape Town
- Bachelor in Accounting Sciences, University of South Africa
- Dip. in Financial Markets and Instruments, The Rand Afrikaans University
- Chartered Accountant
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of South Africa
- Business Valuation
- Corporate Finance
- Expert Testimony
- Mergers & Acquisitions Advisory
- Transaction Advisory
- Financial Institutions
- Diversified Industrials
- Retail & Consumer Products
John Geel is a Senior Managing Director at FTI Consulting. He is a member of the Forensic and Litigation Consulting practice and is based in Johannesburg. John is the country head of the Corporate Finance practice in South Africa and is also the Investment Banking team leader.
John is a qualified Chartered Accountant and has over 25 years’ experience in providing Corporate Finance services, specifically M&A and deal related services, to international and local clients. He has been involved in many M&A assignments working for both buyers and sellers, international and local clients, listed and private/family owned businesses, across various sectors and including private equity houses. Key focus areas include Consumer Markets, Industrial and Automotive, Private Equity and Financial Services. Significant cross border deal experience includes Botswana, Kenya, Mauritius, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa.
During this period, John assisted clients with transaction and deal related services that include: M&A engagements, pricing analysis/valuations, transaction advisory dispute resolution and litigation support, due diligence liaison and management, working capital and stock exchange related work. He has recently acted in the capacity of an Expert Witness in the High Court of SA related to an advisory and valuation mandate undertaken for a shareholder. He also acted in the capacity of a Trustee in a Competition Commission M&A related matter.
Before joining FTI Consulting, John had overall responsibility as the Managing Partner at KPMG for the Deal Advisory function (Mergers & Acquisitions, Valuations & Financing/Infrastructure Advisory), Transaction Services, Capital Markets and JSE reporting, Liquidations and Restructuring from 2008 to 2017.
Select clients and related work that John has been involved in include:
- SoftBev (M&A adviser in the merger of two significant FMCG businesses and then subsequent disposal to a Private Equity investor)
- Unilever (M&A adviser in the disposal of numerous Brands – including Bovril, Maizena, Status deodorant, Mrs Balls chutney)
- Tiger Brands (acquisition assistance in M&A mandates)
- De Beers (M&A adviser in the disposal of a minority stake in a business)
- Botswana Development Corporation (M&A adviser in the disposal of two separate businesses)
- Saambou (assisted the Bank Curator in disposal of various assets)