- Managing Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +1 832 667 5158
- F: +1 213 689 1220
- 350 S. Grand Avenue
- Suite 3000
- Los Angeles, CA, 90071
- United States
- T: +1 213 689 1200
- F: +1 213 689 1220
- B.A., Philosophy, UCLA
- J.D., University of Texas
- MPhil, University of Oxford
- State of Florida Bar
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Board Member, Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce (BRATECC)
- Florida Bar Association
- Greater Houston Business Ethics Roundtable (GHBER)
- Global Risk & Investigations
Christopher DeSa is a Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in Los Angeles. He specializes in developing markets, with expertise on Latin America.
Mr. DeSa offers deep knowledge and practical experience helping clients mitigate regulatory, political and reputational risks in developing markets, with particular expertise on Brazil and elsewhere in Latin America. He is a member of the Global Risk and Investigations Practice in the Forensic & Litigation Consulting segment.
Mr. DeSa has over a decade of experience working with corporations and financial institutions to identify and address complex risks in foreign markets, including corruption, fraud, political disruption, labor and social unrest and other related reputational risks and challenges. He has overseen numerous risk assessments, due diligence investigations and corporate intelligence operations in developing economies. He has also worked with in-house and external counsel to develop anti-bribery and anti-corruption policies and procedures and has overseen or participated in numerous internal investigations, including several of the largest corruption and antitrust investigations in Latin America.
Mr. DeSa’s recent experience includes:
- Providing an expert report on the corruption, political and regulatory environment in the oil and gas industry in Brazil in high-profile securities litigation.
- Developing anti-bribery and anti-corruption policies, procedures and internal controls for a publicly-held, multinational oil and gas infrastructure service provider.
- Overseeing a complex investigation into alleged corruption in Brazil by a leading Canadian oil and gas company.
- Evaluating and advising on the adequacy of Big Four accounting firm’s corruption risk assessment procedures during their audit of a leading oil and gas company, including an assessment of all audit work papers related to fraud and corruption risk identification and prevention.
- Conducting a comprehensive corruption threat and risk assessment for leading British oil and gas company in their acquisition of an ethanol production facility in Brazil.
- Overseeing a global asset search in Asia, Europe and North America for a leading Brazilian oil and gas company in preparation for international arbitration proceedings.
Prior to FTI Consulting, Mr. DeSa worked in the Houston and São Paulo offices of a global risk consultancy. He began his career as a securities lawyer in the São Paulo office of White & Case, LLP, where he advised U.S. and Brazilian companies on a wide variety of cross-border transactions, including public and private offerings of debt and equity.
Mr. DeSa is a member of the Board of Directors of the Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce (BRATECC), and regularly speaks and writes on issues affecting trade and investment between the U.S. and Latin America.
Mr. DeSa holds a Juris Doctorate, with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law, where he was a member of the Texas Law Review. He also holds a Masters degree, with distinction, from the University of Oxford and a Bachelors of Arts from UCLA.
Mr. DeSa is fluent in English and Portuguese and offers a working knowledge of Spanish.